SUNDAY, APRIL 14
Katie Ayers, Manager: Animal Flow, Calgary Humane Society
Sally Johnston, Team Lead: Foster, Calgary Humane Society
Learn about how Calgary Humane Society implemented concepts from Capacity 4 Care in order to double its foster home base and increase foster placements by 50% in just 1 year!
In this session, we will discuss:
- How we created buy-in within our organization
- Implementation of C4C concepts
- Kitten/Neonate Program Development
- Development of the 'Immediate Foster Program'
- The importance of relationship building with our foster parents
- Where we plan to go from here
1. The need to first establish buy-in from the senior leaders, and tips on how to achieve this
2. The importance of having a strong support system in place for Foster Parents
3. How to tailor recruitment & training to the specific needs of your population
Katie Ayers has worked & volunteered in the field of non-profit management for 17 years, with a focus on animal shelters/rescues for the past 10 years. She has significant experience overseeing animal shelter operations, and developing a variety of intervention services including behavior, foster & volunteer programs. Katie is an active volunteer with spay & neuter clinics both locally and internationally, and received her Master's of Social Work with a focus on Leadership in 2009.
Following her graduation from Mount Royal University with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Sally Johnston entered the non-profit field with the Calgary Humane Society as their sole Foster Facilitator. During her time as Facilitator, Sally worked closely with her team to increase foster homes, foster placements, and develop further programs to assist in the overall growth. Based on her background in psychology, Sally took particular interest in supporting foster parents through those emotionally challenging cases. After two years, Sally stepped into the Foster Team Lead role, where she now focuses on further program development, creating efficiencies, and leading the Foster Facilitator with the day to day support for foster parents and animals. When not at work, Sally enjoys relaxing with her fiance and young Golden Retriever, Holly, who demands as much of her attention as her full-time job.